Friday 14 September 2012

The Regents Street Food district.

My employer has rented office space just off Regents Street, and we always seem to eat out when we go there as there is no catering possibilities.
Today it was the turn of Piccolino http://www.piccolinorestaurants.co.uk/ , part of a chain of restaurants serving Italian food. For this date it was remarkably warm in London, and warm enough to eat outside (not a good idea in this country most of the time). As there is only pedestrian footfall, there is no issue of fumes or traffic noise except that off Regent's Street.
This was supposed to be a quickish lunch, and so it was main courses only. I somewhat ambitiously chose fegato, as it is something I like, and quite often have it at Angelo's (see entry).
This is what I got:

That with a side of spinach looks and sounds pretty good. But appearances can be deceptive, and not only was it not hot (scored a 2 on the CHOF scale), but it turn out that most of it was inedibly raw. I know that the current fashion is not to overcook offal, and my wife says 'as cooked as the chef will permit' , but the majority of  this was frankly raw. No amount of pretentious posing would convince me that it was how it was supposed to be. I sent it back, and a small portion of hot thinly sliced liver came to replace it.
I can only assume from the speed with which the restaurant manager replaced it and  offered us free coffees for a group of six in recompense that he knew there was a real problem. So the question remains 'how raw can cooked liver be before it is inedible'.
I would also rethink eating al fresco in September in London, as things cool a bit too quickly. Suffice it to say that my companions had no problem, but did not view my pickiness as unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment