Friday 6 December 2013

Natural Kitchen, New Street Square, City: Why we need to pay bankers so much

3rd December.
A work colleague who I had not seen for some time invited me for lunch, and this was his suggestion based on suggestions received. I knew from other reports, that the most common adjective used to describe the food at Natural Kitchen was 'OK'. The company has an informative web site at http://www.thenaturalkitchen.com/cafe-restaurant.php and a glance down the menus shows that this is not for the masses and threatens style over substance. Don't get me wrong, because I was a grateful lunch guest, and I don't bite the hand that feeds me, but if I had not been a guest I would have been agreeing more vocally with the previously read comments.Most of the trade seems to come with the carry out buyers for those eating 'al desko'. No shortage of customers in suits.

To keep things simple I had the 'aged Scottish steak beefburger, which came with melted vintage cheddar, caramelised red onions, baby gem lettuce, vine ripened tomatoes and crunchy coleslaw (sic) and chips (£15.95)
The menu apologized that it only served burgers medium to well done, but it seemed that the chef had not been told this, and mine was distinctly underdone, and only warranted a 6 on the CHOF scale. However, it was perfectly tasty and seemed to be all meat. The fries were hot and tasty - no other condiments were needed. For the price, this was below expectation, and I hope that if my host ever reads this, he does not take offence as he is a friend of long standing who I would not like to criticise for his choice of venue.
In summary, more style than substance, luke-warm food and a potentially big bill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment