Monday 23 December 2013

Great Nepalese, Eversholt Street: never disappoints

18th December
An old school friend came for to hang out with me in London, and the Great Nepalese was somewhere where we knew we could get an early evening meal before his train home. The restaurant is just by the side of Euston Station, which the web site at http://www.great-nepalese.co.uk/index.html somewhat amusingly calls an exotic location. We learn that the restaurant has been there since 1982, but I thought it had been there for ever (unbelievably I used to drive this way to work in the late 1970's to get to Wandsworth). It is old fashioned in many ways, and its website says that it is online by virtue of having a telephone number.
Being a week away from Christmas, London restaurants are busy, and typically taking advantage of customers' good will and desire to have a night out at any cost. This place chunks along, and they made no fuss about our coming early and said as long as we were gone by 7.30, we could take as long as we wanted.
I decided to play safe, and had my favoured starter of sheek kebab. I could have had a special Nepalese starter, but conservatism got the better of me.
Nothing extraordinary either way with this: predictable, and a CHOF of 8
Again I decided against adventure and stuck to tandoori tikka masala with some pulau rice for main

As you can see, no surprises here, but hot at a CHOF of 9, and living up to expectation. The staff are friendly but not interfering, and were clearly steeling themselves for the Xmas onslaught.
I would recommend this establishment for a fairly priced Nepalese curry option, which has never disappointed over the years. I will be returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment