Wednesday 19 June 2013

Latino's Diner Gibraltar: Walk on by.....

20th May
Gibraltar is a popular cruise stop because the prices for alcohol and tobacco cannot be be beaten. Scotch was unbelievably cheap. We decided to stay on shore rather than go back for lunch, and made a random choice based on gut instinct. Latinos Diner is strategically placed in Main Street and seemed like a good spot based on the fact that it was raining and the number of people eating there. I wish, in retrospect that we had walked on by and made another choice, but a choice is a choice.
There is a somewhat unhelpful web site on http://www.latinosrestaurants.com/diner/
It did not look very American inside, and the Spanish speaking staff did not pass for Mexicans.It looked like a holiday resort cafe. Let me make clear at this stage that I loved Gibraltar and would go back there at the drop of a hat, so I am not criticising the place.
For lunch, I had a cheeseburger, which is one of my litmus tests for places wanting to call themselves diners. After a significant wait this is what arrived
I think the picture tells the story. It was a somewhat limpid burger, adequately cooked bland tasting but somewhat off-heat by the time I received it (CHOF of 7.4). The texture was fine granular, but as there are no cattle of note on Gibraltar, it is difficult to guess the provenance of the beef. It was simply a sad affair which I regretted and was only bolstered by the fact that I knew I was eating in the good restaurant (The View) on the Saga Ruby.
If you are in Gib, I would give this one, or certainly the burgers a miss. It was also quite expensive, and this sad affair was priced at about £9 (they use English Money).


No comments:

Post a Comment