Saturday 22 December 2012

hello to Berlin: is this the best Pizza?

19th December

After an afternoon meeting, an informal meal was organised by the local office in Berlin. I was hoping for  piping hot meat laden traditional German fare, but the deal of the day was Pizza. The choice was+39 piùtrentanove in the Kreuzberg district. The discussion started that this was the best pizza establishment in Germany, this was demoted to the best in Berlin, and after five minutes became the best pizza in the street. +39 refers to the the international dialing code code for Italy. It is just as well as the imagination could run riot here.

To start there was mixed antipasta consisting of mozarella, dried tomato, smoked trout, artichoke and so on. This was a little rustic in appearance and content. Most of my colleagues ordered pizzas, and I have to say they were the largest pizzas I have ever seen

There was barely enough room on the table, and suffice it to say, I did not see anyone finish their pizza.
I chose fegato alla Veneziana as I did not fancy all the dough base of the pizza.

This was probably not as excellent as the version served at Angelos (cf) but as you see, it was attractively presented in sufficient quantity, and was tasty and not cooked to death. There is always a danger when serving big parties of eaters in the pre-Christmas period that restaurants will not care about the hotness, but it achieved a 7.5 on the CHOF scale nevertheless. I hesitate to judge an establishment by food served to large parties, as the company is often deemed to be the most important thing, but there was little to fault this establishment on. In retrospect, it would have been interesting to try one of the XXL pizzas, but I doubt if I will ever get the chance. I have no idea what the bill came to but I think my liver was about 13.50 Euros, which is pretty average. In fact, average is the consummate term for +39, but I am not judging by local standards.


No comments:

Post a Comment