Thursday 18 October 2012

Wagamama's for breakfast

3rd October: en route to Hamburg
I am not a great lover of terminal five at Heathrow, as I find the security a bit heavy handed and inconsistent, but I had to use it early in the morning for a trip to Hamburg. So there was a breakfast opportunity.
Typically I use Giraffe, but on this occasion I used Waggama as it was different, was not so differently priced and had things I was likely to eat.
The menu is here:
http://www.wagamama.com/~/media/WagamamaGlobal/Food/Menus/heathrow-main-menu.pdf
I chose from the more American selection and had the beef and pastrami hash and a coffee. Not very Japanese.
The atmosphere for breakfast is far calmer than most of the other eateries in airports, with space and proper service. There were the refectory like tables, but plenty of room. After a while, this is what emerged (a little bit of photoshop to make up for dim light)
This was attractive and tasty, and fairly warm (about an 7 on the CHOF scale). Very artistically presented but what is difficult to see is that the portion size is probably less than average for breakfast portions. The beef and pastrami hash was of excellent quality and separate as the picture shows. The eggs had been ordered scrambled. What you can also see is an empty coffee cup. The coffee came in demi-tasse size cups which may be normal for Japanese breakfast restaurants, but it is more common to get a BIG cup or mug in most of the other chains in the UK. When I was asked if everything was OK, I expressed my disappointment over the size of the coffee (which was otherwise strong and flavoursome, and not like some of the insipid stuff you get in some cafes). This was immediately met with an offer of another cup at no extra charge. Service indeed.
So for style service and attractiveness, Wagamama gets my vote. If you want a stonking great breakfast, it is probably not the first choice, but for something a little out of the ordinary, I would seriously consider coming here again, and for peace and environment it beats the other places hands down.
So it cost £7.15 for the meal and £1.90 for the small coffee. If I had looked closer at the menu, I would have found that green tea is said to be free. I would not advocate the second cup of coffee stunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment