Wednesday 24 October 2012

Markers Express, Jersey City

15th and 16th October.
This is a continuation of the breakfast in America Theme.
One of the rituals that is penetrating European society from the US especially New York is picking up breakfast on the way to work. People don't eat breakfast at home any more, and would rather spend 6 or 7 dollars and eat their breakfast at work. In fact, some of the people I work with have a flat, and they have never cooked in the kitchen. I also find that these places are quite good for picking up breakfast to take back to your hotel room. This is now a recognised fact in some American hotels which have deli coffee bars in the lobbies so you can take it back to your room. It is a question of economy, choice and quantity.
So I stay at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City, and their breakfast buffet is of the order of $20 plus tax and tips. Just outside the door is a small mall with a food hall and take-aways. I have tried the food hall breakfast, and it is good. More comfort in one's own room, and I have taken to buying stuff at Markers Express. It appears to be a one off with no other branches and you can check out their web site at
http://www.markersrestaurant.com/express-takeout-delivery-markers-restaurant.php


This is an offshoot of a mainstream restaurant which serves the financial district of Jersey City, and the carry out breakfast needs of the financial plaza offices. When you go in there is a coffee bar, where you can pour yourself about 6 different kinds of coffee at sizes up to 20oz (that seems to be one old pint). There is a servery that makes bagels and sandwiches and an area with prefilled buns with breakfast fare. I bought a big container of prepared fruit which lasted me two days.

It can get busy and the staff seem pressured, but work quickly. Over the two days I sampled a bagel (choice of four different kinds)with cream cheese (choice of three different kinds) and a roll with egg sausage and cheese.  These are substantial, fresh and properly cooked. There is a good supply of cutlery and napkins for carry out, but the coffee cups on one day were an odd size that would not take a lid and were not insulated. I think I could have eaten there for about three weeks and not repeated myself. I cannot fault this food. The staff are a little on the surly side, but I guess they are not serving people at the best time of the day (busy at 0730 in the morning) and there is little scope for tips. Why would you want to tip someone preparing a takeaway? It also looks hygienic at the start of the day. So I give them a 7.5 on the CHOF scale, because there is always heat loss with takeaway, but they are doing a good job, and I would definitely go there again. Cost about $6 to 7 for a simple breakfast with coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment