Saturday 4 August 2012

Gelupo - it's all been said before

In West End to collect a lost umbrella from Royal Academy. Had read review of Gelupo on Internet yesterday, so decided to try.http://www.gelupo.com/. I went to the Archer Street shop, where you can buy ice cream to eat on the hoof or in their small coffee shop. A two scoop tube cost £3. The funny symbol if you had not worked it out is a wolf and an alp I think.
I have to agree that it is probably one of the best Ice Creams I have ever eaten in this country, and probably also outranks many of the ones you can buy in Italy. There is a limited choice of usual and unusual flavours, which are under-represented on the web site. You probably cannot read the list on the wall behind. The portion was more than adequate, and because of the richness, I would say that a one person serving is probably exactly that. You really would not want to eat any more. I had bitter chocolate and hazelnut which went together well. The hazelnut had a subtle smooth flavour and the chocolate tasted of chocolate. On a Saturday afternoon, the shop was busy which was good for a back street off peak time. From their opening hours, I suspect they do a lot of their trade from the SoHo night life.The staff were helpful and did not stint on portion size.This is not cheap ice cream but compares well with prices I have paid for similar quality ice cream in Italy (usually about the 5 Euro mark).
I will definitely be going back there again. As expected they scored 0 on the CHOF scale, which was just as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment