Tuesday 31 July 2012

Cafe Rouge

Another day of staycation, and as we had been to the exhibition of funerary decorations at the Korean Cultural Centre at the top of Northumberland Avenue (well worth a visit before September), Cafe Rouge at the top of Villiers Street was a reasonable choice.
I have been to CR many times, and it represents predictable eating, sometimes with French flair. They all look pretty much the same as a mock French Bistro. I tried the set lunch at £8.95 for two courses.
I tried to check on line for exactly what I had, but what is on their website does not match.
I had a somewhat strange meal of mushrooms followed by mushroom. The starter as shown above is a sauteed mushroom in a light sauce with excellent French bread. This was followed by linguine with mushroom (not very French). The linguine dish was a trifle bland, but both dishes scored an 8 on the CHOF scale. Ruth had the Salmon fishcakes with chips, which was deemed to be excellent.
I came away with the feeling that I might have been better served by the main menu, and that having opted for the set lunch, I got something more suited to English taste. Given that London is awash with international olympic visitors, this may be what is being sought. I am pleased to see that unlike some cities, the Olympics have not been a reason to escalate prices noticeably. Others may think differently.
With one beer and a coffee, the bill came to £25 without service. I just had it in my head that it might be a bit more French, and I guess I should have gone for the main menu which looked a bit more promising. However at the price, it is difficult to complain. It made a change from sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment